Thursday, February 14, 2013

Foreseen: Terri-Lynne Smiles



Title: Foreseen
Author: Terri-Lynne Smiles
Stand Alone or Series?: Series (The next book is due out in June)  
Genre: Sci-fi
Publisher: PlotForge
Publish Date: July 3rd, 2012
Cover Artist: Daniel Brewer
Pages: 309 (kindle)
ISBN: 1937979059
Obtained: Review Copy obtained for free from Library Thing.
Synopsis obtained from Amazon.com: Untraceable control.

The Rothston Institute can manipulate the choices of anyone in the world: you, senators, anyone. Fortunately, it has the self-discipline to use this power to keep humankind safe. Stopping wars, averting crises, advancing peace.

Unfettered power.

To accomplish these feats, their operatives must train, and college student Kinzie Nicolosi has just become one of them. A student missing an exam? A construction worker fired for an industrial accident? A Congressman ruined in scandal? Necessary consequences of honing their skills for the greater good.

Unintended victims.

But Kinzie brings more than her remarkable skills to Rothston. She bears an unexpected power that rivals Rothston’s own. And when she stumbles onto the real intentions of Rothston’s leaders, the clash may be something none of them can control.

This review contains spoilers.


Honestly if you are a sci-fi fan, urban fantasy fan or just someone looking for a good read. Pick this book up right now. This. Book. Is. Excellent. It has a solid intriguing plot with well thought out characters who maintain believable relationships. It is absolutely wonderful to see the seer amount of character development coming from every member of the cast big or small. It has been a long time since I've enjoyed a book as much as I enjoyed this one. 

The plot develops slowly, enticing you into the world that Terri-Lynne Smiles has created. Reading it I could tell just how much thought went into creating it -- she thought of the social, and economical impact 'adepts', people who can read all the possible futures and influence which one they want to happen,  would have on a modern society. In the beginning the story isn't necessarily fast-paced but it is griping and I found myself  unable to put the book down.

Did I mention that the characters that make up the cast are fantastic? Did I -- because I don't think I can stress that enough. I loved the main characters of Kinzie and Greg and their relationship with each other. The friendship and romance between the two of them unfolds perfectly and at such a believable pace that you can't help but root for them. The 'bad guys'? I loved to hate them! They were so well done and despicable that at some points I wanted to shout 'No' at the book! One part in particular that stands out in my mind is when Rex influences one of Greg's friends to swallow a cue ball. The colourful supporting cast is amazing as well and have meaningful characters interactions with each other and the main characters -- they aren't just a cardboard backdrop. 

What I like best about the books is that you are given all the clue to try and figure out the plot along with the characters. So as you go through the book, the connections that you start to make (sometime before the characters do) only add to the incredible suspense that this book already generates. Nearing the end of the book I swear my heart was in my throat the entire time as I worked my way to the books finish -- not knowing how things were going to end up.

In short. Read this book. It's intriguing. Smart -- makes you think. Awesome characters. Well thought out plot. Fantastic story. I'll be recommending this one for awhile! Can't wait to read the next one in the series!

Rating: 10/10 stars (See review policy for star rating details).

No comments:

Post a Comment